Best of Story County 4 years in a row!
The Ames Tribune conducts a poll each year asking readers to vote for their favorite Ames businesses in a variety of categories.
We are proud to be voted the Best Real Estate Company in Story County for the 4th consecutive year. Our REALTORS® and staff
are committed to developing and maintaining positive relationships with individuals and families to meet their real estate needs.
Our sister company, Hunziker Property Management, also received the Best of Story County honors as Best Property Management Company.
Whether you are buying, selling, building, or renting, the professionals at each of our companies believe in a personal approach to business
that has stood the test of time.
Nothing spoils an outdoor barbecue more than an accidental fire. Don't think you're at risk? Over the last several years,
fire departments have responded to an average of 8,200 house fires per year involving grills, hibachis, and barbecues. Most of
these fires took place during June and July, the peak grilling months. Here are some tips to stay safe when grilling this summer.
- Tip 1: Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from the house. Grills should not be used underneath wooden overhangs either, as the fire could flare-up into the structure above.
- Tip 2: Clean your grill regularly. Grease is a major source of flare-ups.
- Tip 3: Check for gas leaks. Spray a mixture of water and dish soap on hoses and connections and look for large bubbles that are a sign of leaks.
- Tip 4: Keep decorations away from the grill. Keep hanging baskets, pillows, and umbrellas away from the grilling area.
- Tip 5: Keep a spray bottle of water handy. If you have a minor flare-up you can spray it with the water to instantly calm it without harming dinner.
- Tip 6: Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Make sure you know how to use your fire extinguisher. Try the PASS method.
For more grilling safety tips visit ABC News.
2018 Hunziker Food Truck Series!
Please join us for our 2018 Hunziker Food Truck Series. We are turning over a portion of our parking lot at 105 S. 16th Street to the food truck on Friday, July 13th.
The food truck wil begin selling lunches at 10:30am and continue to serve through 1:30pm.
Our second food truck is macubana.
They have a variety of delicious options available. Local favorites are the tempura mac attack, the cubano, and the brazillian burger. Lunch items average $6.
We hope to see you enjoying some good eats!
We plan to bring you a different food truck throughout the summer! Follow us on Facebook for each months food truck details.
Keep Pests Away From Your Outdoor Space
Read the full article at DoItYourself.com.
- Plant Repellant Flowers - Use flowers such as Marigolds or Calendula. These flowers don't just smell good and add color to your patio; they also keep the mosquitoes and other biting insects at bay.
- Burn Citrus or Citronella - Citrus candles work great alone, but they are even better when used in conjunction with citronella torches. To keep the flying bugs away, place citronella Tiki-Torches around the perimeter of your patio, and/or place citrus candles on surfaces such as tables or benches. This should help keep flies and other pests off your patio.
- Spray with Hydrogen Peroxide - Fill a spray bottle 1/3 of the way with hydrogen peroxide. Then fill the rest with water. Shake well to mix. Spray the surface of your patio and the perimeter with a light mist. Pay special attention to tables where foods and drinks will be set and places where your guests will linger.
- Use Anise Oil - Anise is a little-known herb that works extremely well in repelling bugs. Place a few drops of anise oil into a spray bottle and fill with water. Anise oil is potent, so you only need a few drops.
- Use Dryer Sheets - Bounce dryer sheets have been known to help keep midges, also known as no-seeums, at bay. Simply rub the sheets on tables and chairs. You can also rub it on your arms and legs as well.
- Spray Mouthwash - Fill a spray bottle with an alcohol-based mouthwash. Spray the legs of tales and chairs, as well as the perimeter of your patio.
- Plant some Herbs - Herbs such as mint, garlic, rosemary, lemongrass, and chives work great for warding off biting insects. Plant herbs around the outside of your patio.
- Use Essential Oils - Pour about 4 to 5 ounces of witch hazel into a spray bottle, then mix 4 to 5 drops each of citronella, eucalyptus, and lavender essential oils. You can use this as a natural bug repellent or on the perimeter of your patio.
- Change your Outdoor Lighting - Lights, especially white bulb lights, tend to attract swarms of bugs during the night. Replace your outdoor lights with yellow or sodium vapor lights and turn them off before going in for the night to further prevent insects.
- Keep your Patio Clean - Hose off spills immediately and pick up any dropped food before the flies and other pests have a chance to find it.
Des Moines Home Show Expo
The Home Show Expo, hosted annually by the Home Builders Association of Greater Des Moines, presents attendees with a unique opportunity
to peer inside and appreciate the style, craftsmanship and amenities of new custom-built homes constructed by local builders in attractive
Central Iowa neighborhoods. Explore current trends in homebuilding and construction over three long weekends each July, taking in views of
a select communities while meeting with area builders and enjoying exclusive tours of newly constructed real estate fully furnished by local
vendors in up-and-coming developments across the Des Moines metro.
The 2018 Home Show Expo will be at Angel Park Plat 7 in Clive, IA.
HOME SHOW EXPO 2018
- July 14 : 10 am - 9 pm
- July 15: 10 am - 8 pm
- July 19: 4 pm - 9 pm
- July 20: 1 pm - 9 pm
- July 21: 10 am - 9 pm
- July 22: 10 am - 8 pm
- July 26: 4 pm - 9 pm
- July 27: 1 pm - 9 pm
- July 28: 10 am - 9 pm
- July 29: 10 am - 6 pm
All parking is at Waukee High School, 555 SE University Ave., Waukee, IA. Free bus service is provided to and from the show. There is no onsite parking available.
For more information on tickets, builders, and sponsors, visit DMHomeShow.com.
July 2018 Area EventsAll City Play Day
Wednesday July 11 at 5:30-7:30 pm
Hawkeye Park, Ankeny
Celebration in Brass
Wednesday July 11 at 7:00 pm
Johnston High School stadium. 6500 NW 100th St, Johnston
Various locations in Ankeny
Farmers Market/Music in the Junction
Thursday July 12 at 4:00-8:30 pm
Thursday July 19 at 4:00-8:30 pm
Thursday July 26 at 4:00-8:30 pm
Thursday August 2 at 4:00-8:30 pm
Thursday August 9 at 4:00-8:30 pm
Valley Junction, Des Moines
Rockin' Family Fun
Thursday July 12 at 6:30-8:00 pm
Ames Public Library
Friday July 13 at 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Reiman Gardens, Ames
$5 Family Night
Friday July 13 at 5:00-8:00 pm
Science Center, Des Moines
Nitefall on the River
Friday July 13 at 6:00-11:30 pm
Brenton Skating Plaza, Des Moines
July 13-15 8:00 am
Iowa Events Center, Des Moines
Summer Wildflower Hike at Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge
Saturday July 14 at 10:30 am- Noon
Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge
Saturday July 14 at 7:30 pm Registration starts at 2 pm
City Hall Gym, Ames
Iowa Games Summer Sports
July 14-15 All Day Festival First Weekend
Friday July 20 at All Day Main Weekend Jamboree 4-7:30 pm
Saturday July 21 at All Day Main Weekend
Sunday July 22 at All Day Main weekend
July 27-29 All Day Final Weekend
ISU Campus, Ames
Camel, Zebra & Ostrich Racing
Sunday July 15 at 1:00 pm
Prairie Meadows, Altoona
Boone County Fair
Boone County Fairgrounds
Kids Story Time
Thursday July 19 at 10:00-11:00 am
Reiman Gardens, Ames
Thursday July 19 at 7:30 pm
Stephens Auditorium, Ames
|An Evening with Delbert McClinton
Friday July 20 at 8:00 pm
Hoyt Sherman Place, Des Moines
Movies Under the Stars
Friday July 20 at Dusk
Friday July 27 at Dusk
Story County Fair
Story County Fairgrounds, Nevada
Christmas in Zooly
Saturday July 21 at 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Blank Park Zoo, Des Moines
WARREN MORROW LATIN MUSIC FESTIVAL
Saturday July 21 at 4:00-11:55 pm
Brenton Skating Plaza, Des Moines
Saturday July 21 at 9:30-11:30 pm
Ewing Park, Des Moines
Tuesday July 24 at All Day
Welcome Rally Jack Trice Stadium
Evening Prairie Walk
Thursday July 26 at 7:00-8:30 pm
DooLittle Prairie, Story City
Summer Sidewalk Sale
July 26-28 Shop Local
National Balloon Classic
15335 Jewell St, Indianola
Friday July 27 at Noon-6 pm
Saturday July 28 at 8 am-6 pm
Sunday July 29 at 10 am-6 pm
July 30-31 Noon- 6 pm
Wednesday August 1 at Noon - 6 pm
Thursday August 2 at Noon- 4 pm
Ames Intermodal Facility, 129 Hayward Ave
Last Saturday Stoll
Saturday July 28 at 10:00-11:30 am
Des Moines Botanical Garden, Des Moines
The Carpenters Once More
Saturday July 28 at 7:00 pm
Talent Factory, Nevada
Yoga in the Park
Saturday July 28 at 9:00-10:00 am
Dakins Lake, Zearing
Tuesday July 31 at 8:00 pm
Hoyt Sherman Place, Des Moines