The impact of nearby schools on home values
Buying a home in a good school district can result in
resale advantages, offer protection from market fluctuation and provide a great education. We've always known that good schools attract
families with school-age children, but recent statistics add concrete numbers and surprising trends to the storyline.
Making a decision on buying a home should definitely include an analysis of the school district, even for buyers who don't intend to send
children to those schools. Good schools provide stability for a community, and that's good for the property values of everyone who lives nearby.
- 1 out of 5 buyers would give up a bedroom or garage for a better school.
- 51% would give up shopping amenities for schools.
- 1 out of 5 home buyers would pay 6 to 10 percent above their budget for the right school.
Information from a recent study by Realtor.com.
Property Taxes - Does it affect where you choose to live?
Death and taxes - Two sure things in life. Since we are a real estate firm, we will discuss the taxes.
Have you ever wondered how the taxes that you pay compare to other communities? Every community and school district has different rates. Below is a
comparison of communities in Story County vs. Ankeny. The numbers are based on a home assessed at $200,000.
Look up the taxes you pay on your home by visiting the area assessors website.
- Ames - Ames Schools $3,612*
- Ames - Gilbert Schools $3,960
- Huxley - Ballard Schools $4,696
- Nevada - Nevada Schools $4,345
- Story City - Roland Story Schools $3,225
- Ankeny - Ankeny Schools $4,893
*Ames has an Instructional Support Levy = 5% of Iowa income tax paid. Example: $8,120 in Iowa Income Tax would be $406 additional tax.
Iowa's Tax Free Shopping Weekend
Believe it or not, summer vacation will soon come to a close and school will be back in session. It's time to start thinking about fall activities, earlier bedtimes,
school supplies, and back-to-school clothing. Fortunately, Iowa has designated August 7th and 8th as a Tax Free weekend to help parents get their kids ready for the
new school year. We have some thoughts to help you make the most out of the Tax Free Weekend.
- Do your Research - Do a little investigation before you head out to the stores. There are exemptions during this weekend and not all types of apparel qualify as tax free.
The Iowa Department of Revenue website can guide you in the right direction.
- Make a List - Arm yourself with a list to help you stay on track while shopping among the crowds. Go through your kid's closets and drawers beforehand to determine
what wardrobe basics are needed. A list will also help you get in and out of stores with only what you need!
- Compare Prices - Do some internet browsing ahead of time to scope out what stores have the best deals on the items you need. You can also download an app to your
smartphone so you can compare while on the go.
- Stock up - Consider purchasing items that you will need throughout the school year. It's hard to imagine buying thick sweaters and turtlenecks when it's still
steamy outside, but once winter arrives you will be glad to be prepared.
Hunziker & Associates, REALTORS named a Top Power Brokerage
We are proud to announce that Hunziker & Associates, REALTORS ranks as one of the Top 1000 Power Brokerage Firms in RisMedia's 2015 Power Broker Report.
This report ranks firms by closed transactions and sales volume for the prior year. Now in it's 27th year, the Power Broker Report
has long honored the incredible business feats of remarkable real estate leaders - and brokerage firms - who continue to shape the industry.
"2014 was a growth year for many real estate firms across the country, as low inventory created a ripe environment for home sellers and move-up buyers,
and continued low interest rates and rising rents enticed more new buyers to take action" according to John Featherston, RISMedia's President and CEO. "As market
dynamics continue to fluctuate, today's more knowledgeable, more tech-savvy real estate consumers look to proven real estate firms and their agents to help
guide them toward the best real estate decision. Being ranked a Power Broker validates a company's reputation as a trusted resource for today's homebuyers and sellers."
RISMedia's 2015 Power Broker Report.